Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Scariest day of my life...

OK so instead of telling the story a million times, I'll just tell you all here. Monday I came home on the bus between my 3-5 break. I was going to take the car out to BYU for my class so that I could hurry home instead of having to wait for the bus. Well, I got home about 4 and my mom started to make those peanut butter rice crispie treats. She made them before and I've been fine before. Well, I stated my laundry and decided I didn't feel like going back to BYU. So i was sittin at the counter and started to have what I thought was an asthma attack. Well, it came on really quickly and my chest got really tight and I went outside to see if some fresh air might work, but it didn't. I got my mom and we hopped in the car and started driving to the hospital. I tried to keep sucking on my nebulizer, but it wasn't working. I stopped and just started praying. I didn't realize it, but my mom said that I was using every breath that I had to pray outloud to my Heavenly Father. My mom said that I was asking Him to give me strength and bless the doctors and to protect me. The last thing I remember was passing the cemetary (which is about 2 miles from my house) and looking out the window in the rear view mirror and seeing my white face and completely blue lips.

Now the rest is my mom's point of view: She said that I couldn't hold my body up by myself and I had my seatbelt in but was really wobbily. She said I slumped over onto her shoulder and about 30 seconds before she got to the hospital she heard the little "gasps" of air from me and then I stopped breathing. She stopped at the ambulance exit and ran inside telling them her daughter was in the car and wasn't breathing. They brought out a stretcher and two people put me on it. My mom went around and parked the car. She said that by the time she got back in, they had about 8 people around me tryin to get me to breathe. They had to cut my sweatshirt off (sorry hud, it was your soccer sweatshirt). My mom said they let her stay in the emergency room with me. She said even though I was unconscious I was fighting them. I didn't not want the tube down my thoat, but they had to get it down before my throat closed off all the way. She said when I would get really ornery, they would ask her to stand by my head and stroke my forehead and talk to me and tell me everything was goign to be alright. She said it actually helped and it settled me. They got the tube down and then they had to stick a tube down my nose to pump my stomach. I kept trying to pull my tubes out and so they had to strap my hands down to my bed.

See, I was out for the whole night. My mom and my sister Amy Jo stayed with me and switched off watching over me. I was hooked to a breathing machine all night and because my arms were tied down, my mom said i kept sitting up and trying to get my face to my hands to pull out the tubes. I don't remember anything. Tuesday morning I woke up about 7 i think. I don't remember much til about 9, but I do remember one thing. I remember waking up (my mom said I still had the tubes in me) and I had to go to the bathroom. I was hooked up to a machine that I could pee in, but it was clogged or something and it wasn't working. Now, I'm in an ASL class right now and so I couldn't talk, so I signed the sign for bathroom. Of course, nobody could understand me and so I signed J-O-N because my little brother knows a little sign language. He wasn't there yet, so I spelled out B-A-T-H-R-O-O-M and one of the nurses knew the letters. They then unhooked me from all the machines and I was able to go to the bathroom.

From about 9 to 3 I was awake and watched some TV and they let me take a shower because I had throw-up and crap in my hair. Apparently it was really scary and my mom had to watch it all. She's the real hero in all of this because she kept it together. I'm so blessed to have such a great family and the technology that save my life. Anyways, thanks for all the prayers and worries. You guys are the best. I love you all!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Beth I'm really glad you're ok. Do you know what caused it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abbie. Just the smell of the peanut butter sent me into Anaphylactic shock....Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Beth, I really am so glad you're ok! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary Beth...I'm so glad Anita kept her wits about her and that you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth,
    That is so scary! We are so happy to hear that you are doing okay! Try and stay away from peanutbutter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow! You didn't know you were allergic? That is very scary. I'm glad you are okay. I'm sure Hudson doesn't mind sacrificing his sweatshirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like I said, NO MORE! You can't do that to your sista while she is across the country. Little Munkin! I am so glad you are okay. I ate a jar of peanut butter in your honor. TAKE THAT PEANUTS!

    ReplyDelete