Monday, November 24, 2008

Baby Steps Re-charge

Ok, so after the "accident" my self-help improvement weeks got thrown off a little. But, after a wonderful visit from my home teachers last night, I'm back at it. One of my home teachers, Allan, talked about how thankful we need to be (good topic considering the up-coming holiday). He asked me a question that threw me off gaurd a little. He asked me how my relationship with Christ was. Now, this shouldn't be a hard question to answer, but usually the question is, "How is your relationship with Heavenly Father?" That one I can answer immediatly... But the "Christ" question was a little harder. It got me thinking about how much time I really spend thinking about my savior and all that He did and still does for me. I had to stop and evaluate: Am I thankful enough to Him for the tremendous gift which He has given me? Do I think about Him and all that He has done for me? Am I treating others how He would treat them?

I'm not saying I'm an awful person, but for the next couple of weeks I want to try and focus a little more on Christ and improving myself in a more spiritual instead of physical manner. Plus, I think this will really help to bring a unique spirit for this Christmas season.

The first Christ-like attribute that I want to work on is that of loving and giving more of myself. Few people know how demanding and impatient I've been in the past. To those people I say I truly am sorry. In high school, I realize I was too controlling with Hudson. I had him wrapped around my little finger and unfortunatley, that wasn't always a good thing. Hudson definately has gained a backbone in Russia, but I want to be better myself.

This week I'm going to try my hardest to serve wherever I can serve. To listen to people who need a shoulder to cry on. And to love, not judge, first.

"We are asked to be kinder with one another, more gentle and forgiving. We are asked to be slower to anger and more prompt to help. We are asked to extend the hand of friendship and resist the hand of retribution. We are called upon to be true disciples of Christ, to love one another with genuine compassion, for that is the way Christ loved us." “An Easter Greeting from the First Presidency,” Church News, 15 April 1995

4 comments:

  1. Beth!

    I just want so say how much I love you! I cant thank you enough for the example you are to me and all of the people you come in contact with. Your spirit is amazing. Hudson is a lucky guy! I love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a sweetie.
    I wish we were going to be there to spend Thanksgiving with all of you.
    Give everyone a big hug for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Bethie! I am so grateful for you!!!! I hope you are able to accomplish all that you are hoping to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Beth!

    That is such a sweet post! I was thinking about you the other day because I was wondering if you were in need of a job/service oppurtunity...you will get paid, that is the job part, but it is also service. we have one for you if you are interested... let me know!

    ReplyDelete